Recreation Users

Required Certifications

If you’re just planning to fly your drone / UAV recreationally, then no you don’t need a pilot’s license or other certifications. A Part 107, the Section 333 exemption or any other kind of UAV certification are only required for commercial operation of your drone / UAV. You’ll just need to abide by standard safety guidelines as regulated per the FAA.

A few of those guidelines include:

  • Flying daylight hours only

  • Flying under 400 feet

  • Flying via line-of-sight only

  • Not flying in National Parks

  • Not flying directly over people

  • Not flying within airport limits

  • …and more

Required Registration

Effective December 21, 2015, if you’re flying a drone that weighs over .55 lbs / 250g, you must register it with the FAA before you fly it outdoors! Even if you are just flying for recreation your drone / UAV must be registered with the FAA. There is a $5.00 registration fee per drone / UAV. Click here for more FAA information and use this button to register your drone with the FAA.

FAA Logo

Register My Drone with the FAA


AMA AdAccidents can happen, join the Academy of Model Aeronautics, for $75  or less for students, and take advantage of Member Insurance Benefits that include $2.5 Million Liability Umbrella, $25,000 Medical Coverage and $1,000 Fire and Theft Coverage! The AMA saves you hundreds with their insurance coverage and this is only one of their benefits! Click here to join now,